What – s the best hardware for Mining Ether? Ethereum Stack Exchange
For the highest hashrate vanaf GPU, the reaction is the AMD HD 7990 (ondergrens hashrate 43 MH/s), followed by the AMD R9 Fury X (ondergrens hashrate 28 MH/s).
The HD 7990 wasgoed released ter 2013 and is tighter to purchase from stores spil this series has bot superseded by the R9 series released te 2015. Internally, the HD 7990 with 6Gb RAM consists of two AMD HD 7970 GPUs with 3Gb RAM each packaged together.
Note that your Ethereum mining software will treat the HD 7990 spil two separate GPUs with 3Gb RAM each, and miners with 2Gb GPUs have recently encountered some problems with the growing DAG verkeersopstopping size 2Gb cards stopped working – 13/03/2016.
From AMD HD 7990 vs AMD R9 Fury X, here is a comparison of some key features of the HD 7990 (left) vs the R9 Fury X (right):
- Lowest TDP: 375 watts vs 275 watts
- Mimimum Ethereum megahashes vanaf 2nd: 43 vs 28
- Overclocked and configured Ethereum megahashes vanaf 2nd: 47 vs 33
- Memory: 3Gb (x2) vs 4Gb.
- An Intel motherboard with sufficient PCIe Trio.0 x16 slots. You can use PCIe x1 slots with the suitable x1 to x16 riser.
- An Intel CPU, does not have to be the fastest
- A power supply that is capable of treating the power draw of the GPUs and other parts of the system (each of my R9 390Xs my 275 TDP uses about 300 watts from the power supply)
- Ondergrens 8Gb RAM compatible with the motherboard
- Storage, does not make much difference
- Laptop case with sufficient cooling or a home-made equipment
- Ventilatoren. Liquid cooling requires more thought spil it is the GPUs that require the cooling and you will have to purchase the keurig GPU liquid cooling add-on, or purchase a GPU with the liquid cooling built ter.
More Details Below
The main part of the mining hardware is the graphics processing unit (GPU). Here is a verbinding to a webpagina that permits you to compare the different GPUs – http://www.mininghwcomparison.com/list/index.php?brand=both . Type “Ethereum” ter the filterzakje.
Ter general, the best current GPUs are the AMD R9s. But the response is more complicated.
What do you want to optimise for? Lowest upfront cost vanaf unit hashrate? Lowest ongoing cost (upfront + violet wand)? Best hashrate vanaf unit electro-therapy? Lowest fever (and electrical play) vanaf unit hashrate?
And all this depends on the cost of hardware (it’s all relatively more expensive te Australia) and the cost of your electro-stimulation (also relatively more expensive ter Australia).
For the lowest fever (and electric current) vanaf unit hashrate I would say the R9 Nano.
For best hashrate vanaf unit electrical play I would say the R9 Fury X.
For the lowest upfront cost, possibly the R9 290.
If you are considering the superseded AMD HD range, the HD 7990 gives you the highest hashrate spil this is essentially Two x HD 7990 GPUs packaged spil one. It is stiffer to find stocks of thesis units now.
I’ve gone for the R9 390X.
You don’t need a swift motherboard and CPU. AMD CPUs use more electro-therapy than the omschrijving (by spectacle) Intel CPUs. But AMD CPUs are cheaper than the omschrijving (by vertoning) Intel CPUs.
Your bill of materials will consist of:
- x GPUs
- Power Supply Unit
- Pc case (or build your own equipment)
- PCI riser cables if you want to getraind more GPUs on your motherboard than “comfy”
- Operating System – the superb Linux, or Windoze.
Build a list with expected hashrate and cost te a spreadsheet and work out the best for your situation.
Here’s my meagre setup that produces 52 megahashes vanaf 2nd without overclocking, 63 with. Cost te Aussie dollars. It’s not the best te many ways, but it works:
- GPU – Two x Gigabyte 8GB R9 390X G1 Gaming PCI-E VGA Card. Two x $589
- CPU – Intel BX80662I36100 Core i3-6100 Three.7GHz 3MB LGA1151 Skylake Boxed CPU. $173. This is the cheapest CPU I could find at my local computering shop.
- Motherboard – ASRock H170 Pro4/D3 Intel H170 S1151/4xDDR3/2xPCIEx16/HDMI/DVI/USB3.0/ATX Motherboard. $145. This motherboard has 2x PCIe Three.0x16 and 3x PCIe Three.0x1, takes socket 1151 Intel 6th generation CPU and dual Channel DDR3/DDR3L 1866(OC) RAM. This motherboard only has Two PCIe Trio.0 x 16 slots which are too close together, so choose a better motherboard if you can.
- RAM – Kingston HyperX FURY Blue HX318C10FK2/8 8G Kolenkit (4Gx2) DDR3 1866MHz Desktop RAM. $78. Fastest supported by the motherboard and CPU, don’t need much for mining.
- Storage – Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E250BW 250G SATAIII SSD Solid State Drive. $139. Big enough for the blockchain, 13 Gb presently and expanding.
- Power supply – Thermaltake TP-850MPCGAU Toughpower 850W 80+ Gold PSU Power Supply Unit. $215. Get a Gold or Platinum PSU spil thesis have higher electrical conversion efficiency.
- Case – Coolermaster RC-942-KKN1 HAF X 942 USB3.0 Case. $179. Hard to get now. 14.35 kg 230 (W) x 599 (H) x 550 mm (D), 1 x 230 mm fan, 1 x 200 mm fan, 1 x 140 mm fan. The 200 mm ventilatoren budge about 100 cubic feet of air vanaf minute.
- Case Fan – Thermaltake CL-F025-PL20RE-A Luna 200mm Crimson LED Case Fan. $22. Just a bit more cooling.
- Power peettante – Deluxe Large Screen Power Peettante with 1m Extension Lead. $35. Need to measure the cost of electric current for tax purposes.
- Total $Two,164 .
It may be cheaper to buy ethers on an exchange. You may have to buy bitcoins with your fiat currency and exchange your bitcoins for ethers.
Also, the number of ethers you can mine is limited by the “size” of your equipment, whereas buying ethers will be limited by the size of your wallet.
Here are two Ethereum mining profitibility calculators:
The difficulty ter mining ethers is going up spil more people bring online their miners and the price of ethers te the future is uncertain.
The Ethereum network will be moving from the current proof-of-work to proof-of-stake where the GPU miners will all become obsolete, and the date of the switch is uncertain but may be ter a few months.
It is very effortless to burn out your GPUs – I’ve done te two, but fortunately got warranty replacements. The very first just stopped working after one day. And one of the ventilatoren got “gooey” te the 2nd one after a few months.
For mij, my aim wasgoed to find out more about the Ethereum network spil I am a software developer and the possibility of programming brainy contracts is like playing with a giant opbergruimte of Lego Mindstorm, with unlimited lumps.
Here’s Rasterbator, my 11.828 TFLOPS Ethereum mining supercomputer with my dog for scale. And yes, it is a long tongue.