Geforce GTX 1070 for Mining: Overclocking and Testing – GPU for Minin
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 is a superb solution for gamers. It outperforms the former top NVidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti Trio times te some aspects.
Is it any good for mining? Wij will take a closer look at the GTX 1070 for mining, test its overclocking and also compare it with other GPUs.
Geforce GTX 1070 specifications:
- GPU architecture: Pascal
- Movie memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 8Gbps
- GPU boost frequency: 1683 MHz (1.4x)
GTX 1070 – mining voorstelling
Best hashrates and frequencies to achieve them are given below. Keep te mind that the numbers are provided mainly for reference purposes and GPU hashrate may vary depending on the loterijlot and the manufacturer.
If you have a choice, you should know that Samsung memory chips are superior to those of Micron, especially with regard to overclocking limit and stability at high frequencies. Attention: upgrading GPU BIOS ter your laptop to a custom-made BIOS can make your laptop unoperational.
Ethereum, Dual mining, Zcash mining efficiency
Miner hashrate for other algorithms:
- NeoScrypt (Experimental) = 0.654 MHS/sec. (* 0.000442 BTC/vanaf day)
- Lyra2Rev2 (ccminer) = 37.29 MHS/sec. (* 0.000744 BTC/vanaf day)
- Dagger-Hashimoto (ethminer) = 27.696 MHS/sec. (* 0.00081 BTC/vanaf day)
- Decred (ccminer) = Two.804 GHS/sec. (* 0.000573 BTC/vanaf day)
- LBRY (ccminer) = 279.86 MHS/sec. (* 0.000737 BTC/vanaf day)
- Equihash (excavator) = 464.Four Sol/sec (* 0.00071 BTC/vanaf day)
- Pascal (excavator) = 972 Sol/sec (* 0.000284 BTC/vanaf day)
- X11Ghost (ccminer) = 7.25 MHS/sec (* 0.00037 BTC/vanaf day)
- X11Ghost (ccminer_alexis) = 11.Five MHS/sec (* 0.000601 BTC/vanaf day)
- Sia (excavator_server) = 1.6 GHS/sec (* 0.000366 BTC/vanaf day)
- Blake2s (excavator_server) = Trio.945 GHS/sec (* 0.000644 BTC/vanaf day)
* —24.07.2018 exchange rate
ETH production on GTX 1070 from different manufacturers
Which of the Geforce GTX 1070 models is best for mining? Te fact, most GTX 1070 GPUs are already sold out (cause GTX 1070 is one of the best for mining), so te most cases you simply do not have a choice, and you have to buy what’s available. But here are a few facts that may help you determine (if you have a choice, of course).
- Gigabyte: users complain that it has the weakest and the least reliable ventilatoren (ter comparison with competitors). But personally for mij, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming is an excellent choice, because of the three ventilatoren installed on it (however not the most reliable ones) so it operates at a low temperature
- NVIDIA Founders Edition. Albeit FE GPUs have high hashrates, they are noisy
- ASUS STRIX. It is very likely the most popular choice among miners. Albeit this proefje is slightly more expensive than competitors, you can get a good hashrate and a quiet and durable cooling system
- Zotac. IGood hashrates and an excellent cooling system with Two ventilatoren. Fairly a loterijlot of positive terugkoppeling from users
Equipment for 200 MHS/sec Ethereum mining equipment:
- GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB
- MB: Biostar TB250-BTC
- CPU: Intel Celeron G3900 Dual-core Two.8 Ghz
- SSD: ADATA 120 GB
- Power unit: Two x Corsair CS750M 750W, semimodular, 80+ GOLD sertificate
- Syncronise for Two power units: Add2PSU
- Power button: 2-pin SW PC Power Cable on/off Shove button
Mining with GTX 1070 (laptop version)
Some people ask: “Is it possible to use the powerful GTX 1070 te my gaming laptop for mining?” Personally, I would not recommend using a laptop for mining, if all of a sudden something happens to your GPU, then you can lose the entire snufje that is much more expensive than a desktop with the same graphics card.
However, if you understand the risks and want to still attempt laptop mining, you can get good results.
I managed to get the following results:
- 8 MHS/sec Ethereum mining with run-off frequencies and 147W power consumption
- 1 MHS / sec Ethereum mining ter overclock (+ 150 / + 700) with GPU temperature exceeding 80°
How can wij solve the 1070 hashrate problem?
If you buy a fresh GTX 1070 and install the latest NVIDIA drivers you can face the problem of a very low hashrate -2.Five MHS / sec. Don’t worry, it is effortless to fix it. This does not mean that your GPU is faulty, you just have a problem with Windows Ten.
There are two ways to solve this problem:
- use Linux
- Upgrade Windows Ten to v.1703 – which fixes this bug
Is it worth buying a GTX 1070 GPU for mining? Of course. Ter our opinion, albeit the prices for this GPU have enhanced significantly recently due to high request from miners, it is still an excellent investment.
Don’t leave behind that it is also the most productive GPU for gamers and is the golden mean inbetween the GTX 1060 and the more expensive GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 Ti. Most likely you will be able to sell it to gamers te the future.
Overclocking the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G for Mining
Te 2018 buyig a GPU for mining is spil relevant spil everzwijn, you will be able to feel it when you attempt to find one of the top GPUs on sale.
GTX 1060 farms are still popular, but next generation gtx 1070 and gtx 1080 are gaining weight. The cost of thesis GPUs ter Eastern Europe is twice their value ter the US and the EU.
Wij have a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G, which has bot mining Zcash for a week now. Let’s look at the results and how MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G can be used for mining.
The GPU operates on an ancient, but practical system – Asus P5 / EPU motherboard (where the network port and the sound chip were burnt by lightning and substituted by cards te PCI slots), 8 GB RAM (four Two GB each), an Intel Core Two Quad Q6600 processor at Two.4GHz default frequencies. Today this is a classic office rekentuig that is not relevant for games with other ingewikkeld tasks.
Te this system, wij inserted the purchased MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G and launched the mining process.
- Before commencing the actual mining, wij studied the GPU capacities and the currencies which will bring the most revenue.
Wij installed the popular NiceHash Miner which permits you to find the best currency for mining through the launch of a preliminary benchmark.
The most optimal mining algorithm (mid-June) wasgoed Equihash (about $ Four vanaf day).
Using the online hashrate rekenmachine on whattomine.com, wij learned that Equihash can be used for Zcash (ZEC), Zencash (ZEN), Hush (HUSH) etc. Wij chose Zcash, which permitted us to receive about 4-5 dollars vanaf day.
The purpose of overclocking wasgoed to reduce power consumption, which would lower the GPU temperature, increase frequency of the chip core and memory (Micron). Wij used the popular MSI Afterburner.
Based on information that wij got online, wij used the following settings:
- diminished the Power Limit to 75%
- waterput Core Clock to +200 (2025 MHz)
- Memory Clock to +600 (4400 MHz)
- cooler speed from 70 to 90 (depending on the weather outside)
With thesis settings, the GPU produced Zcash at a speed of 477-490 Sol/s consuming more than 200W. The core temperature wasgoed at 60-65 degrees. This system worked for two weeks after which it began resetting.
The 2nd settings:
- Power Limit diminished to 66%
- Core Clock is set to +191 (2012 MHz)
- Memory Clock to +581 (4387 MHz)
- cooler speed from 70 to 80 (depending on the weather outside)
The production rate is 480-490 Sol/s consuming more than 150W. The core temperature is 56-60 degrees.
Thus, wij have diminished temperature, power consumption and fan noise.
Often you can find messages about gasps squeaking under geyser, but our MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G even with cooler rpm 80 is less noisy than system unit cooling.
It is worth noting that each GPU has its own specific features of overclocking. Here are some general tips:
- Very first, usual memory overclocking limit for the Micron chips is about + 600 (4400-4500 MHz)
- Next, accelerate the core frequency, the limit is usually around +200 (2050 MHz)
- Attempt to lower the Power Limit to less than 75%, this will significantly reduce the GPU power consumption
- Check that the GPU temperature is under 65-70 degrees. This will increase its period of work, exclude warranty repairs which will take about 3-4 weeks (just calculate the losses)